Sunday, 29 March 2015

BRIGHTON AS A UNIVERSITY CITY


BRIGHTON UNIVERSITY

The Cockroft Building Was Formally Opened By Sir John Cockcroft O. M. On The 28th February 1966 And Attracts Students From All Over The British Isles As Well As Overseas.





PELHAM STREET




The Original Buildings Were Constructed In 1876 To Serve As Public Elementary Schools, And Were Opened By W. R. J. Cotton Lord Mayor Of London On The 12th July 1876, The Architect Being Thomas Simpson.









PELHAM STREET


They Were Rebuilt In 1973 And Were Designed By The Architect Gilbert M Simpson And Were Opened By Herbert Hone J. P. On The 17th January 1978.
Today They Are Home To Brighton Technical College And Are Divided Into Two Main Categories, Construction And Commercial Studies.



PELHAM STREET





Built In 1970 To Ease The Situation In The Older Buildings Opposite, This Building Now Houses The Central Administration For The Technical College And The Departments Of Catering And Domestic Science.

MOULSECOOMB PLACE
The Hall House At The Rear Of Moulsecoomb Place Is The Oldest Surviving Building In Brighton. It Was Probably Built Between 1350 And 1400 During The Reign Of Edward 111. 
In 1639 Records Show That The Old Cottage Was Seized By One Edward Culpepper. Moulsecoomb Place Appears To Be An Early 19th Century Seven Bay House In Yellow Brick, But Behind The Facade Is A House Dating Back To The 18th Century.
Today The House And Its Grounds Have Been Taken Over By Brighton University, The Main House Is Taken Up By Offices Used By The University Accommodation Services, And Much Of The Grounds Have Had Student Accommodation Built On Them.


ENTRANCE TO SUSSEX UNIVERSITY
In 1959 The Architect Basil Spence Was Commissioned To Prepare Master Plans For The New Campus, As Well As Detailed Designs Of The First Phase Of The Building.
The Current Campus Occupies 80 Hectares Of Stanmer Park And Is Situated 4 Miles From The City Of Brighton, In A Beautiful 18th Century Park - Land Setting.
In The Early Stages Of The Building Spence Established A Vocabulary Of Arches And Vaults In Concrete And Massive Piers In Soft Red Brick, But Due To Cutting Costs This Was Simplified In Later Stages Of The Development, During Subsequent Years Much Has Been Added To The Overall Campus.
Just Across The Main A27 There Is Now A Substantial Development Called Falmer University, Which Has Also Undergone Much Enlargement In Recent Years.

SUSSEX UNIVERSITY

SUSSEX UNIVERSITY COMPLEX FROM THE AIR

BRIGHTON UNIVERSITY FALMER COMPLEX

BRIGHTON UNIVERSITY FALMER COMPLEX


THE ARCHITECTURE OF BRIGHTON'S RELIGIOUS STRUCTURES

ST NICHOLAS 
St. Nicholas's Stood On Raised Ground Outside The Original Rectangle Of The Old Town. The Present Buildings Date From Around The 14th Century, Though A Church Was Recorded On This Site In The Doomsday Book Of 1086.
Up Until 1785 St. Nicholas Was Brighton's Only Church, And In 1853 Henry Michell Wagner Commissioned R. C. Carpenter To Supervise Restorations. 
Today The Flint Tower, The Chancel Arch And The Nave Arcades, Are The Only Parts That Can Be Truly Dated To The 14th Century. 

SYNAGOGUE




The Synagogue Was The Subject Of A Competition In 1874 And Was Won By Thomas Lainson.
The Front Is Vaguely Byzantine And Uses Light Yellow Chichester Brick. The Window Arches Are Blue And Red Tiles And Openings Are Punctuated With Corinthian Pillars.









ST. PETER'S


St Peter's On The Level Was Designed By Charles Barry After Winning A Competition In The 1820'S Much To The Annoyance Of Busby And Wilds, Who Had Expected To Get The Commission From Henry Michell Wagner.
The Foundation Stone Was Laid In 1825 And The Church Was Consecrated In 1828. It Is A Large Yet Delicate Design, With Pinnacles And Buttresses In The Perpendicular Gothic Style.







ST. PETER'S


Barry Regretted The Absence Of The Spire Which He Originally Designed To Cap The Tower. But In Spite Of This Omission This Is One Of His Most Important Buildings And One Of The First, And Finest Of The Gothic Revival Churches.
Barry Used Gothic With Serenity And Purity, Of The Classical Spirit. The Three Sided Apsidal Chancel Was Replaced In 1906 By Somers Clarke.








ST. GEORGE'S
St. George's The Martyr, Kemptown Was Built By Charles Busby For Thomas Read Kemp And Opened In 1825.
The Main Body Is A Plain Box Of Yellow Brick With Two Tiers Of Windows Under Heavy Cornice. The West Front Has A Pair Of Ionic Columns Recessed Between Pilasters On Either Side Of The Entrance, And Is Topped By An Attractive Square Tower And Cupola.

ST. GEORGE'S



In 1830 A " Sky Parlor " Was Added, At This Time Busby's Interiors Were Destroyed And The Pilasters Were Replaced By Cast Iron Columns Decorated With Acanthus Capitals.
It Was One Of Busby's Most Successful Buildings And Was A Favorite Of Queen Adelaide, Unfortunately It Is Only One Of A Few Georgian Churches Left In Brighton.







ST. MARY MAGDALENE



Designed By The Distinguished Architect Gilbert Blount, Marked The Formation Of A " West Brighton Missionary District " Following The Use Of A Temporary Chapel At Sillwood House In 1858.
The Subsequent Expansion Of The Mission Was Due To The Efforts Of Father George Oldham Who Was Formerly An Anglican Curate In Hove From 1846 - 50.






 HOLY TRINITY


Built By Amon Wilds In 1817 To House Thomas Read Kemp's Own Sect. The Sect Was Unorthodox And Its Chapel Was Unconventional.
The East Facing Front Was Formed By A Doric Tetra - Style Portico And The Interior Was Lit By A Glass Roof Lantern.
It Was Taken Over By The Church Of England In 1825 And The Portico Was Replaced By A Severe Five Bay Front With Plain Pediment. In 1867 It Was Substantially Rebuilt Behind A Gothic Front.






ST. PAUL'S


Built By R. C. Carpenter And Opened In 1848, This Is One Of Brighton's Most Impressive Victorian Churches. It Was Commissioned By Henry Michell Wagner For His Son Arthur Douglas, And Was Perhaps His Most Outstanding Achievement.
The Church Has Conventional West - East Orientation And The Sanctuary Faces Onto West Street. The Narthex Was Added To The West And By Bodley In 1887 And A Long Passageway Running Along The Entire South Wall Was Built By Denman.






ST. PAUL'S
Unusual For A Brighton Church, The Walls Are Built From Napped Flint With Limestone Quoins. The Lower Tower Was To Have A Stone Spire But The Present Timber Spire Was Added By Carpenters Son In 1873.
This Formed A Major Landmark And Was Used By Sailors As A Beacon. The Interior Is Extremely Simple, The Quatrefoil Piers And Plain Arches Are Painted White In Contrast With The Black Roof With Its Arched Braces. When These Photograph's Were Taken By Me In 1989 The Church Was Undergoing Renovation. 




ST. BARTHOLOMEW'S
Commissioned By Arthur Wagner And Designed By Edmond Scott, It Was Based On The Dimensions Of Noah's Ark Given In The Genesis Account Of The Bible.

St. Bartholomew's Nave Is One Meter Higher Than That Of Westminster Abbey In London And Is The Highest Of Any Parish Church In The Land.
The Wall Plate Is Twenty - Seven Meters Above Floor Level And The Ridge Plate Forty - Two Meters, The Use Of Marble And Chalk On The Interior, Are Similar To Westminster Cathedral And Are Most Impressive.





ST. MICHAEL'S
St Michael's Is Really Two Churches In One. The First Was Built By G. F. Bodley And Opened In 1862, Built In Red Brick With Sandstone Coursing. 
The Second, An Extension Built In 1895. After The Death Of The Designer William Burgess, Is A Fine Example Of 13th Century Pastiche On A Grand Scale With Soaring Brick - Vaulted Nave, Triforium And Clerestory.
The Stained Glass In The Western Window Of Bodley's Original Nave, And East And West Ends Of The South Aisle, Are The Earliest Examples From The Firm Of William Morris. The Interiors Of This Strange Looking Double Church Are Particularly Interesting.



PICTORIAL HISTORY OF BRIGHTON CONTINUED


ST. JAMES'S PLACE




This Small Row Of Cottages Date Back To The 1600'S And Are Good Examples Of Some Of The Earliest Development In Brighton. It Was Built On What Was Originally Known As A Paul Piece, A Sub - Division Of A Field.









WYNDHAM STREET
This Shows The Total Lack Of Consideration By The Developers Of The 1960'S, For The Surrounding Architecture And Environment, As Can Be Seen From The Way The Tower Blocks In The Rear Of The Photograph Completely Dominate The Area.
WYKEHAM TERRACE








Built In 1830 In The Regency Gothic Style. In 1855 A Part Of The Terrace Was Linked To Adjoining Properties In Queen's Square, To Become St. Mary's Home For Female Penitents, An Institution Set Up To Rehabilitate Reformed Prostitutes By George Wagner.



SHIP STREET


This Property Is A Fine Example Of This Style Of Architecture Which Was Used During The 1600'S, Built In 1685 It Still Remains Much The Same And Shows The Wide Use Of Flint Which Was Abundant In This Region.





YORK BUILDINGS
The Royal York Hotel ( Now Municipal Offices ), Occupies The Site Of The Manor House Built In 1779 And Demolished In 1819.
Mr. Charles Scrase Purchased A Moiety Of The Manor Of Brighton In 1771 And Built The House. It Was Not A Large Or Imposing Building, Just Two Stories High And Built Of Red Brick With A Slate Roof.
The Royal York Hotel Had Many Fashionable Visitors Which Included Among Others, Dukes Of Clarence, York And Cambridge, Also The Duke Of Wellington, Benjamin Disraeli Earl Of Beaconsfield, In His Early Parliamentary Days And Later Thackeray.

LEWES ROAD BARRACKS
Due To The Cutbacks In The Armed Forces, This Prominent Feature Of The Lewes Road Has Now Been Demolished To Make Way For Retail And Housing Development, Although Many Of The Buildings On The Site Were In A Poor State Of Repair, Its Final Demise No Doubt Caused Sadness To Many Of The Older Residents Of Brighton, Who Would No Doubt Remember The Days When It Was The Centre Of Life For This Part Of Brighton.
The Remaining Buildings On The Site were Boarded Up, After The Army Bomb Squad And The Territorial's Moved Out, A has now Been Demolished And Turned Into A New Shopping Development.

MOULSECOOMB ESTATE
During The Inter - War Years Moulsecoomb Valley Became The Site For Two Large Housing Estates, North And South Moulsecoomb, And The Farm Buildings That Originally Stood There For Many Years Were Finally Demolished.
The Houses Were Described As " Fit For Hero's " By The Planners Of The 20'S, And The Estate Was Hailed As The " Utopia Of Moulsecoomb ". They Were Built To Accommodate The Housing Shortages Following The 1st World War, And Also To Re - House Those From The Centre Slum Area's Of Brighton Town.
Designed By Professor Adshead, They Copied In Style The Layout Of The Garden Cities Of Letchworth And Welwyn In HERTFORDSHIRE, During My Early Twenties I Had The Privilege Of Living With The Family Of The Grandson Of Ebenezer Howard One Of The Founder Members Of The Garden Cities, And It Was As A Result Of My Research For This Project, That I Realised Why Moulsecoomb Seemed Somehow Familiar To Me.
The Estates At One Time Were Hailed As The Best Examples Of Local Authority Housing Schemes In This Country Built During The 20'S And 30'S, And Planners From All Over The World Studied And Visited The Estates.
During Recent Years The Housing Has Suffered A Decline, Due To Lack Of Maintenance And A Severe Lack Of Services For The Residents. Attempts To Alter This Include The Provision Of A Railway Station Giving A Direct Link To Brighton Central And The Main Line To London, And Also A New Medical Centre And Leisure Centre, Although Many On The Estate Cannot Afford To Use The Latter. Like Many Other Council Estates Throughout The Country, Crime Rates Are High And The Council Are Installing CCTV In An Effort To Reduce The Problem.


PICTORIAL HISTORY OF BRIGHTON CONTINUED


MARINA FROM BLACK ROCK
The Marina Was The Inspiration Of Local Garage Owner And Yachtsman Henry Cohen                                     
His Original Idea In 1963 Was For A Harbour With 3,000 Moorings, To Be Sited Between Dukes Mound And The Madeira Lift. \It Was To Include A Heliport And Hovercraft Station As Well As Flats, Hotels, Restaurants, Conference Halls And The Like. 





His Scheme Was Met With Stiff Opposition And The Present Site Was Chosen Following Advice From The Planner Sir William Holford.              
The Project Was Started But Never Finished.                                   
The Harbour, Formed By A Huge Breakwater Made Up Of 110 Caissons, Each 12 Meters High And Weighing 600 Tons. It Enclosed 30 Hectares Of Sheltered Water, Though Now Most Of This Has Been Filled In, And Construction Of More Accommodation And Additional Leisure Facilities Goes On Apace, Although With The Threat Of Ever Rising Tides Due To So Called Global Warming, One Often Wonders About The Wisdom Behind This Strategy, As They Say  "Time Will Tell! "

BRIGHTON PAVILION
The First House Erected On This Site Was Built By Henry Holland In 1786 - 87, For George 1V Prince Of Wales. It Was A Simple Classical Building With Curved Projections In The Centre, Fronted Bi Ionic Columns Surmounted By Statues And With Two Shallower Bows On Each Side Of The Central Feature.                                    
It Was Known As The Marine Pavilion Of His Royal Highness, And This Name Survived All The Subsequent Transformations Of The Building. In 1801 - 3, The Prince's Residence Was Enlarged And Given Its First Chinese Interior. Between 1815 And 1820, John Nash Gave The Building Its Present Hindu Exterior, And Whilst In This Process Refurbished The Interior, Again In The Chinese Style. For Details Of This Please Refer To Henry D. Robert's History Of The Royal Pavilion And Clifford Musgrave's The Royal Pavilion. 
The Facade Of The East Front Of The Pavilion Facing The Steine Is Still Governed By The Outline Of Henry Holland's Pavilion, Which It Replaced. The Saloon In The Centre Has The Bowed Front Of The Classical Building And Trellised Oriental Veranda Fronting It, Instead Of The Ionic Portico. The Drawing Rooms On Either Side Each Have Two Shallow Bows Of Holland's Pavilion.

BRIGHTON PAVILION
The Banqueting Room And The Music Room At The Ends Were Later Additions With Square Fronts. On This Framework Have Been Imposed Nash's Domes And Minaret's. The Largest Centre Dome, Over The Saloon, Actually Contains Five Rooms Which Were Originally Bedrooms For Members Of The Court Entourage.                                             
They Are Now Used As Storerooms And Workshops. George 1V's Own Apartments Were On The Ground Floor Of The West Front. The Prince Finally Came To The Throne In 1820. In 1830, Two Years Before The Building Work Was Completed, He Died, And Never Fully Enjoyed His Creation. He Was Succeeded By His Brother William, Who Became A Regular Visitor During His Seven Year Reign, And Commissioned Several Additions Including The North Gateway.                                              
Queen Victoria Was A Less Frequent Visitor And In 1846 Sold The Pavilion To Raise Money To Complete Buckingham Palace. The Town Purchased The Pavilion For 50,000 Pounds But Not Before Its Interiors Had Been Totally Stripped Of Decorations And Furnishings. During The Next Century It Was Used As Assembly Rooms, Art Gallery And Even A Military Hospital During The 1st World War. The Long Slow Process Of Restoration To Its Former Glory Was Only Begun After The 2nd World War, And Now Today Has Been Completed At The Cost Of Several Million Pounds To Achieve. 

THE DOME THEATRE 1


Built In 1803 - 5 And Designed By William Porden, It Was Based On The Halle Au Ble' In Paris, Its Purpose Was To Serve As Stables For The Royal Pavilion.




In 1850 The Buildings Were Taken Over By The Town And In 1867 Converted Into Assembly Rooms. In 1935 The Dome Was Totally Reconstructed At A Cost Of 73,000 Pounds, And Was Turned Into A Modern Concert Hall By Robert Atkinson With The Capacity To Hold 3,000 People. 
During The Last Couple Of Years The Whole Area Of The Dome, Corn Exchange And Library Have Undergone Complete Refurbishment, Greatly Improving All These Amenities.  

GRAND HOTEL
Opened In 1964 And Designed By J. H. Whichcord In The Free Italianate Cum French Second Empire Style.
Originally On This Site Stood Artillery Place, A Regency Square Housing The Old West Battery House And Ammunition Ground, Dating From 1793. 
The Grand Hotel Housed 150 Bedrooms, It Was First To Have A Lift And Electrical Installations, It Was Said To Boast 48 Kilometres, ( About 30 Miles Of Flooring ) 5,861 Cubit Meters ( About 23,000 Cubit Feet ) Of Timber And 9.65 Kilometres,         ( About 6 Miles Of Gas Pipes.)
In 1984 A Bomb Blast On One Of The Upper Floors, Caused Several Million Pounds Worth Of Damage, But Fortunately It Has Been Restored And A Victorian Style, Glazed Sun Lounge, Has Been Added Onto The Front Entrance, Greatly Enhancing The Hotel's Appearance.

BRIGHTON CONFERENCE CENTRE 
The Brighton Centre Was Designed By Russell Diplock And Associates And Opened In 1977. The Main Conference Area At 1st Floor Level Is 40 Meters By 47 Meters And Is Spanned By Ten Warren Trusses.
It Has Seating For 5,000, Plus Restaurant, Bars And A Secondary Hall And An Exhibition Space. Alas It Does Not Fit In Well With The Older Sea - Front Buildings. 


THISTLE HOTEL
Designed By Michael Lyelland And Associates And Opened In 1987, It Is Planned Around A Central Landscaped Atrium At 1st Floor Level.
There Are 211 Bedrooms Of Which A Quarter Have Sea Views, The Majority Of The Remaining Rooms Look Out Towards The Atrium.
The Rear Of The Hotel Overlooks A Square Formed By The Town Hall And A New Office Block With Shops At Ground Floor Level. A Polite But Uninspired Addition To The Seafront.
Formerly Called The Ramada Now Part Of The Thistle Chain Of Hotels.

BEDFORD HOTEL
The Original Hotel Was Designed By Thomas Cooper And Erected In 1829, And Was The Most Popular In Brighton, Until The Opening Of The Grand In 1864.
Almost All The Most Famouoday Are Ugly, And Show Total Disregard For People In England And Many From The Continent, Stayed At The Bedford Hotel, Among Them Charles Dickens Who Was A Frequent Guest.
Unfortunately It Was Destroyed By Fire In 1964. The Buildings Now On The Site Tor The Appearance Of The Sea - Front, And The Sky - Line, This Attitude Has Continued Down To Our Present Day.

ROYAL ALBION HOTEL
On This Site Originally Stood Russell House, Built By Dr. Richard Russell In 1754 For Himself, Its Gardens Reached Down To The Beach. In 1750 He Published A Book Called " A Dissertation Concerning The Use Of Sea Water In The Diseases Of The Glands. " This Book Did Much In Putting Both Himself And Brighton Firmly On The Map.
He Lived In This House Until His Death In 1759. The Hotel Was Designed And Built By Amon Henry Wilds, And Consisted Only Of The North - East Section Of What Now Exists. In Recent Times It Was Badly Damaged By Fire, But Thankfully Builders Were Able To Restore It To Its Former Glory.

 QUEENS HOTEL
The Site Where The Queens Hotel Now Stands Was Once Occupied By An Inn Called The Dolphin, Demolished In 1846. Next Door The Famous Vapour Baths Run By Sheik Mahomet, Who Had Been Shampooing Surgeon To King George 1V.
The Baths Were Converted Into Markwell Hotel In 1869 And Eventually Were Absorbed Into The Queens Hotel.

BRIGHTON STATION
The Terminus Building Was Designed By David Moccatta. In Its Original Form The Building Was A Handsome Italian Villa Style, With Central Arcade Entrance Behind Tuscan Colonnade.
In 1882 The Original Train Sheds Were Replaced With The Present Single Span Arched Roof Design By H. E. Wallis. This Is A Typically Elegant Victorian Train Shed Of Glass And Iron With Delicate Dolphin Designs On The Spandrels. At The Same Time As Moccata's Colonnade Was Removed And His Facade Was Hidden Behind The Ugly Porte Coterie Which Remain Today.

Brighton's Policy With Regard The Tramway Undertaking Was That It Should Be Self Contained And Therefore Office's, Shed's And Workshop's Were Built In One Place.
The Depot Was Built In 1901 In Coombe Terrace, Lewes Road. Some Of The Original Etched Windows Still Remain To This Day, And Carry The Brighton Coat Of Arms And The Words 
" Brighton Corporation Tramway's ".
In 1935 Some Eighty Cars Were Running And All Were Constructed And Maintained In These Workshops Now The Depot For Brighton And Hove Buses.

THE ROYAL SUSSEX HOSPITAL
Built In 1828 And Designed By Charles Barry On Land Donated By Thomas Read Kemp, And Financed By Money From Private Benefactors Among Them Lord Egremont.
The Victorian Wing Was Added In 1837 And Designed By William Hallett. Three Years Later Herbert Williams Designed The Adelaide Wing, In 1856 The Marquis Of Bristol Donated A Chapel.
Later 19th Century Additions Were By E. E. Scott, While In The 1920'S New Work Was Designed By F. T. Cawthorn.
The Site Is Now Dominated By The Tower Block, Built In The Early 70'S And Designed By Health Authorities Own Architects. Since That Time There Have Been Numerous Additions Including The Millennium Wing, A Multi - Story Car Park And A New Children's Wing Called The Royal Alexandra Children's Hospital !

Built In 1898 And Designed By Clayton And Black, Its Original Purpose Was To Serve As A Convalescence Home For Patients From The French Hospital In London's Shaftsbury Avenue. It Was Sold For Redevelopment in 1999 and was briefly threatened with demolition, But English Heritage Listed The Building At Grade 11 for It's Architectural And Historical Importance And It Was Converted Into Flats. The Unusual Chateau Style French Renaissance Revival Building Has Been Criticised As "Dreary" And "Gauche" But Is Believed To Be Unique To England And Demonstrated Innovation In It's Use Of Double Glazing !



WEST PIER 2003 


NING WANG BY WEST PIER


AFTER THE STORMS








WEST PIER FIRES  2003

THE WEST PIER TOOK A HARD BEATING FROM THE SEA DURING THE WINTER, AND WAS STILL LEFT STANDING TO TELL THE TALE.SINCE THEN THERE HAVE BEEN A SERIES OF MYSTERIOUS FIRES, THE CAUSE OF WHICH HAS NOT BEEN DISCOVERED............








..............ALL ANYONE COULD DO WAS LOOK ON FROM A DISTANCE DUE TO INACCESSIBILITY AND THE INTENSE HEAT............










...........A HELICOPTER ALSO CAME TO TAKE A LOOK............




..........FIREMAN USED A TUG AS A PLATFORM TO TRY AND COOL THE STRUCTURE DOWN, BUT THERE WAS LITTLE THEY COULD DO........









.......ALTHOUGH THE FIRE CREWS WERE QUICK ON THE SCENE, THEY COULD ONLY JOIN THE PUBLIC WHO STOOD ON THE BEACH........








..........HOLIDAY MAKERS STAND ON AND ALONG-SIDE THE BRIGHTON PIER AND OBSERVE THE FIRE AS THE COASTGUARD PASSES OVERHEAD..........












..............AS CAN BE SEEN FROM THESE PHOTOGRAPHS............










..............THE FIRES WERE EXTREMELY FEROCIOUS............










...........AN  AERIAL SHOT SHOWS THE EXTREMITY OF ONE OF THE FIRES ............








..........THE PROBLEM WAS MADE WORSE BY THE  DRY WEATHER AND , FLAMES FANNED BY HIGH WINDS........











....... THE HUGH AMOUNT OF SMOKE  COULD BE SEEN FOR SEVERAL MILES........ 





............AS THE STRUCTURE WAS MOSTLY CONSTRUCTED OF TIMBER, THERE WAS LITTLE HOPE OF MUCH REMAINING

ALTHOUGH THERE WAS NO CLEAR EVIDENCE, IT WAS THOUGHT THAT ARSON MAY HAVE BEEN THE CAUSE OR A  STRAY FIREWORK FROM A BEACH DISPLAY COULD HAVE STARTED ONE OF THE FIRES..............








............A FIRE ENGINE STANDS HELPLESSLY BY AS THE PIER BURNS............










.............THIS SHOT SHOWS THE INTENSITY OF THE FLAMES AND JUST HOW QUICKLY THE FIRE SPREAD............







...........A SPOKESPERSON FOR THE PIER TRUST SAYS THAT MANY OF THE PRECIOUS MOULDINGS HAD BEEN COPIED IN DETAIL IN PREPARATION FOR THE RESTORATION............







........THUS MAKING IT POSSIBLE TO RECREATE MANY OF THE ORIGINAL FEATURES........










.......THIS AERIAL SHOT SHOWS THE TOTAL DEVASTATION WREAKED BY THE FIRE........




.............SHORTLY AFTER THIS PHOTOGRAPH THE WEST PIER SIGN DISAPPEARED.
ALL THEY COULD DO WAS WAIT TO SEE WHETHER THE TRUST COULD RAISE SUFFICIENT FUNDS TO COMPLETE WHAT MANY FELT WAS AN IMPOSSIBLE TASK, AND ONE THAT SHOULD NOT BE UNDERTAKEN...........




.......... ALTHOUGH THE TRUST ASSURED PEOPLE THAT THE RESTORATION & REBUILDING WORK WOULD GO AHEAD AS PLANNED, SUBSEQUENT DAMAGE OVER THE PAST SEVERAL YEARS HAS LED TO THE PROJECT BEING TOTALLY ABANDONED !